Older people who live alone are often vulnerable. In case of an emergency they might at some point require immediate medical help. Having a medic alert alarm is the best way to get any kind of help when needed. It also provides a sense of security to the elderly. The knowledge that help is at hand can help restore peace of mind.
Having a medic alert alarm allows the elderly to remain independent. The alarms have light weight buttons, which makes it easier to wear without weighing down. Some alarms also consist of automatic fall buttons which can send signals in case of a falling accident.
The medic alert alarms can be worn on the wrist, as clip-ons or around the neck as well. These alarms have a large help button which can be pressed easily when the need arises. These signals can be sent to a distance of almost a thousand feet. Most medic alert systems come with the following features:
- These alarm systems are usually waterproof, so these can be worn in the shower as well. Statistical data suggests that majority of the falls occur in the shower. The ability to wear these alarms during bathroom visits is an added plus.
- A long range signal system which allows the help to be contacted even if it’s pretty far off.
- These alarms can be worn in a variety of style. As wrist bands, clip-on’s to be attached to clothes or as pendants as well.
- The batteries have a long shelf life and most often do not require to be changed for at least three years or so.
- The batteries don’t need to be charged so there is no fear of taking off the alarm.
- The alarms are easy to wear, since these are light weight they tend to be pretty comfortable to wear.
- Those who suffer from arthritis often face difficulties handling alarm systems. But these days the systems are designed I such a way that buttons are soft touch and can be pushed easily even by those who suffer from arthritis.
- The clasp of these alarms are break away so there is little to almost no risk of choking. This means that the alarms can be worn even while one is sleeping.
- The alarm systems are enough to send signal to far distances and there is no need to use the phone. During emergency dialing a phone number can seem like a great deal of hassle. The need for this is reduced when using medic alarm systems.
- Since the elderly often need to hear clearly, the sensitive speakers of the alarm system allow them to hear all the instructions easily and clearly.
- If at any instance there is a power failure, the alarms have built in batteries which can be used for the next 72hours, until power is restored.
- When help is required, help is answered by certified medical professionals who can actually provide the necessary information. What’s more text messages are sent to other family members are well to notify them of the emergency.
For more information on medic alarm systems, make sure you contact a registered provider.