Physio Hervey Bay
How physical therapy can help people suffering from MS
Physical therapy is an essential form of treatment especially for those who suffer from mobility issues and injuries. However, it’s beneficial for those suffering from MS as well. Multiple sclerosis bring a myriad of symptoms. Often these render an individual unable to go about their daily tasks with ease. Most likely, a physio in Hervey Bay can help manage discomfort. A physical therapist can help you in the following ways.
- Those who suffer from any sort of balance problems can benefit from physiotherapy. Their therapist can design a set of certain exercise programs suited for their individual needs. This would help improve balance and stability.
- Keep in mind that all exercises must be carried out regularly to get the most benefit
- They will advise you ways to save energy and carry out everyday tasks with relative ease. In the long run you would be able to manage stress and relieve pain as well.
- If there is a foot drag slowing your pace, your therapists would carry out extra sessions to resolve the issue albeit slowly but steadily.
- If you have trouble going to the therapist on a regular basis, most are willing for home visits.
What can you expect from a physio in Hervey Bay?
Once you have been diagnosed with MS you might need to see a therapist right away. There are certain physiotherapist who specialize in the treatment of MS symptoms. If you are looking for a therapist you might need to ask your doctor for a referral. However, if you know someone who suffers from MS and is undergoing treatment, ask them about their own physiotherapist.
At the first visit be prepared to answer any questions you are asked by your therapist. You might be asked about your daily schedule. How well you are able to handle a variety of tasks and any other issues which might be making it difficult for you to lead a normal life.
Once you have been evaluated for all your symptoms you would be taught different exercises which would help you. Sometimes all it takes is two or three sessions and you are good to go on your own. Though you might be prescribed a follow up visit.
At the follow up visit you might undergo all of the following
- Stretching exercises and movements to see if there has been an improvement in your mobility.
- Shown better moves to manage pain and other stress related issues faced by people suffering from multiple sclerosis.
- Exercises like bending and straightening your arms, also known as range of motion exercises.
- Additional tips which would help prevent fall at home or outside. People suffering from MS are prone to falls. However, the right advice can help keep those falls to a minimum.
- For those who need to use cranes and crutches, proper use of all these would be taught.
With the right exercise and physical therapy you can manage your MS with ease.